It has been awhile since I wrote an update about the lessons and what I learned in EVIDENCE but, these past two weeks have been an educational journey to me. Since I’m not familiar in the subject of analysis, this was a new technique to analyze a certain subject carefully. It was about the Political, Economic, Socio-Cultural, Technological, Environmental, Legal (PESTEL) analysis accompanied by Opportunity & Threat (OT) analysis. This PESTEL – OT made me realize how important to know how to analyze a certain subject. We were asked to analyze the upcoming proposal of a National Cybersecurity plan of 2022. This was exciting to read since it was about the improvement of security here in the Philippines. The plan doesn’t only cover security, it also promotes other improvements in terms of the government and businesses.
After we read the plan, I was a little skeptic if the plan would really be implemented here in the Philippines. I know for a fact that there is a possibility of corruption in the plan since it involves countless expensive pieces of equipment. Abuse of the funds is also a possibility but I decided to put these thoughts to rest and I’ll just wait and see what would happen next. I am glad that something like this would happen here since we are in need of advancing to the standards of other countries.
This is my final learning log for COMSEC2. It’s so sad that our security subject is coming to an end but I am expecting to carry on my studying through the references given by our professor 🙂 Although it’s sad 😦 , I am a bit happy because I got to learn so many things about Computer Security this term. I remembered our exercises about the nmap usage for the networks, Snort and other useful applications that I want to explore more. For example, Kali Linux was available to me since our INVESTI subject and I only got to explore BeEF framework and nothing else. I want to learn how to defend systems from attacks that are common in today’s society. That’s one of my motivation to study well in our COMSEC2 class as well as in our other classes. For these two past weeks, we had many events that happened. We learned from the mobile malware lesson that Sir Justin taught us. It was interesting since I taught that mobile malware was limited and not defined that much. We also had our presentation of our correlator this week and it was a success!! Yehey!!!!! :)) I was nervous because at first I thought it was hard to do since we had our basis from two other correlation techniques which are Alert Correlation and Event Correlation. We aptly named our correlation technique as Tree Correlation and we began deciding what types of software should we use to produce the output of correlated logs. We decided to use the Visual Basic language from the Visual Studio application and use the older version of Snort since the newest version doesn’t have the support for the database connection. We used Snort 184.108.40.206 which has the schema example as well as the database connection functionality. I was excited because we were creating a correlator from scratch and we were implementing our correlation technique. Overall, we had great success and we plan to continue this project for a research paper! Thanks for reading!! 🙂